The Next Door
Job Title: Registered Nurse
Reports To: TND Chattanooga Program Director
Summary: To provide medication administration for residential program serving women who have a history of addiction, mental illness and incarceration and to facilitate health promotion and education for TND staff and clients.
Work Schedule: Part-time, working one or more evenings Monday-Saturday, from 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. and Sunday from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Probationary Period: 90 days
Creation date: May 2012
Primary Responsibilities and Duties include the following:
- Liaison with Program Director, Program Manager and Tennessee Prison for Women (TPW) Nursing Director regarding the needs of clients.
- Provide nursing triage to clients of TND with medical or mental health concerns.
- Provide patient education re: STD, HIV, etc. (see Policies and procedures)
- Provide TB screening and testing for TND clients and staff.
- Prepare and provide oversight to daily medications for TND clients.
- Ensure that necessary medication refills are communicated with TND and TPW staff in a timely manner to prevent clients from running out of their medication.
- Provide BLS and first aid to residents and staff of TND during medical emergencies.
- Ensure timely and professional documentation of medications received, dispensed and destroyed per the documentation guidelines of TND.
- Maintain filing system for Medication Administration Records, prescriptions, Patient Prescription Assistance Program Applications and other miscellaneous documentation.
- Manage medication storage, dispensing, receipt, destruction, and prescriptions for residents of TND.
- Provide consultation to staff of TND regarding health promotion, medications, and medical or mental health conditions.
- Conduct health promotion in-services for staff and residents of TND.
- Ensure that all policies and procedures of TND, TDOC and ACA standards are followed at all times by residents and volunteers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Function as a liaison and patient advocate for TND clients by communicating and collaborating with community healthcare providers who are serving clients of TND.
- Attend scheduled meetings and in-services at TND.
- Other duties assigned by Program Director or Program Manager.
- Bachelor’s of Science or Associate’s Degree in Registered Nursing
- Minimum of 1 year of experience as a Registered Nurse
- Knowledge of psychiatric disorders and alcohol and substance use disorders
- Valid unrestricted Tennessee Registered Nursing license
- Knowledge of modalities for leading educational groups
- Knowledge of modalities for conducting individual patient education
- Computer literacy and proficiency in typing and word processing programs
- Entry level knowledge of psychotropic and medical medications; indications, interactions, and management
- Ability to triage medical and psychiatric concerns
- Valid Tennessee Driver’s license
All employees of TND will adhere to the following professional standards:
- Honor the agency mission: Exist to meet the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of women in crisis, equipping them to develop a life of wholeness and hope.
- Consistently treat residents and co-workers with the utmost respect.
- Work as a necessary part of a team effort.
- Model ethical and professional behavior at all times.
- Participate in ongoing meetings and trainings as required by leadership.
- Be creative and assist leadership with ideas for improving the overall quality of the services and environment for the residents of TND.
- Encourage core values of TND at all times.
To apply, please submit cover letter and resume to Becky.Phelps@thenextdoor.org or by fax to Becky Phelps at (423) 779-1318 no later than Friday, June 8, 2012. Please include the following in your cover letter:
- Total number of hours you are available per week
- What days (evening hours) you can work
- Minimum number of hours you require
- Minimum hourly wage you require
No phone calls, please.